When most people think about diesel they think about semi-trucks. This makes sense as nearly all semi-trucks use diesel and most cars use gasoline, buts that’s starting to change. As more cars hit the market ready to go with diesel engines, should you consider buying one?
To start off, what exactly is the difference between diesel and gasoline engines? In theory diesel and gasoline engines work very similarly. The main difference comes in how the fuel is ignited. In a gasoline engine, a spark plug is used to release a small spark that ignites the gasoline at each stroke and propels the car forward. In a diesel engine there are no spark plugs. Rather, the diesel is ignited by using intense compression. This compression is so strong and creates so much heat it is able to ignite the diesel fuel without a spark plug. Chemically the two fuels differ in their ignition temperatures. In their liquid form at the pump diesel is harder to ignite and cannot create explosions like gasoline can. In the engine however, the fuels are in their gaseous state. In this fully evaporated state diesel is easier to ignite which is why it can use compression.
Should you consider a diesel car? Here are some of the biggest benefits:
- The black smoke you associate with diesel is a thing of the past. Diesel now runs cleaner than gasoline and will not produce any unsightly expulsions from your car.
- The reason trucks use diesel is because it provides more torque power. If you tow a RV or trailor, diesel may be a good choice.
- The Europeans are doing it too, over half the cars in Europe run on diesel. Maybe they are on to something.
- The resale value of a diesel car can be more than 10% higher than its gasoline counter part
- Less time at the pump, diesel will provide you around 30% more energy per unit than gasoline meaning fewer trips to refuel.
If you’re interested in a diesel car, here are the top rated cars in each category that have a diesel option:
Best Truck: Ford Super Duty
Best Luxury car: Jaguar F-PACE
Best Economy Car: Chevy Cruz
Driving a diesel may have many benefits in your life but unfortunately they won’t help you keep out of car crashes. If you do happen to find yourself in a car accident it’s always best to consult professional representation. The Denver car accident lawyers at Franklin D. Azar & Associates are always ready to give you a free consultation. Call today and we will fight to get you every dollar you deserve.